v1.0 is the name the developers have provided for the full release version of The Forest. Its release date is announced to be on 30th of April 2018.
Updates until Full Release[edit | edit source]
As a result of the close release date, the developers stated they are no longer doing timed updates and instead focusing on finishing the game. Their will be updates along the way though they will be released without indication. They also stated that they will be putting out release candidates as we get closer to our first final. Here is an explanation of what a release candidate is from Wikipedia:
A release candidate (RC), also known as "going silver", is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bugs. A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities. Beta testers, if privately selected, will often be credited for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product. Beta testing is conducted in a client's or customer's location and to test the software from a user's perspective.
Cost[edit | edit source]
The developers stated that once The Forest is fully released it's price will rise from $14.99 USD to $19.99 USD.
Here is a list of conversion rates by currency dated February 5th, 2018. It is to provide an estimation of how much the game will cost before, and after full release:
Developers Plans for Release[edit | edit source]
The developers stated some of their plans of the full release. They have more planned though they most likely want to keep some surprises in store for players. Here is a list of what the developers have currently stated (sourced from v0.73 patchnotes):
- Languages and controller support will be improved and officially supported. This refers to translations and gamepads
- Adding new reasons and resources for killing the creepies. Creepies are mutants, they currently yield no materials or rewards
- A 'rethinking' of the cold and warmth system, including a new warm suit. The warm suit is suspected to be a wet suit, similar to a scuba suit.
- New buildings will be added. They provided no indication of what these buildings might be.
- Big performance optimizations especially for late game saves. This is to allow the game to run more smoothly with bigger player builds.
- Changes and improvements to how multiplayer save games work and along with this a bunch of dedicated server improvements. This might indicate that the game could allow sharing with saves instead of saves being only attached to the host. It could also mean that their may be a PvP version of the game.
- Multiplayer clothing system is going to be improved and expanded, with a new system to allow you to switch outfits. This might allow players to choose clothing or find new pieces of clothing in multiplayer games. Currently, clothing provides no benefits apart from appearance changes. There is no mention of a female character or ability to choose between Caucasian, African American, or Latino.
- They are going to provide details of a VR game mode when we are closer to release. The developers have stated previously that they had issues with VR working in The Forest. VR isn't confirmed that it will be added to the game at this stage (fingers crossed).
- Changes to the ending of The Forest. The developers are really excited to see what people think.
- The developers stated Along with a bunch more we don’t have room to include here, we have some really crazy and fun surprises in store. This could indicate that they want to keep some of their new content as a surprise to players.
Developers Notes from v0.73[edit | edit source]
These are the notes where most of the information from this page was extracted from, v0.73:
We wanted to share our plans for moving The Forest out of early access and into a full v1.0 release. We’re aiming for a release date towards the end of April. We’ll have an exact date when we are a bit closer. On release of v1.0 the price will increase from $14.99 USD to $19.99 USD
There are a bunch of new features we’ve been working on for v1.0, and want to give everyone an idea as to what we’re planning on shipping with. Languages and controller support will be improved and officially supported. We’re going to be adding new reasons and resources for killing the creepies. There will be a rethinking of the cold and warmth system, including a new warm suit. New buildables will be added. There will be some big performance optimizations especially for late game saves. Changes and improvements to how multiplayer save games work and along with this a bunch of dedicated server improvements. The multiplayer clothing system is being improved and expanded, with a new system to allow you to switch outfits. We’ll also give some details about a VR game mode when we are closer to release. Along with a bunch more we don’t have room to include here, we have some really crazy and fun surprises in store, especially regarding the ending and are really excited to see what people think.
To focus on pushing this out we’re going to stop doing the smaller timed patches. To keep everyone involved in the process leading up to launch and to help ensure the release is as good as it can be, we will be putting out release candidates as we get closer to our first final.
Developers Announcement for v1.0[edit | edit source]
On the 5th of April 2018 the developers shared as follows:
Today we are officially announcing April 30 as the release date of the PC version of ‘The Forest’
It’s been a long journey and we’re really excited to show everyone what we have in store.
The team at Endnight
PS4 Release[edit | edit source]
The Forest is going to be released on Play Station 4. However, no date has been announced for its release. The image below is a concept on the PS4 edition completed by Farket.