We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
The Forest Wiki/Editing
This page is meant to keep track of the standards for editing that are used on the wiki to maintain consistency. This page is meant to show how things specifically on The Forest Wiki are done, for formatting and other general editing information, go here.
Page Creation[edit | edit source]
Before anything else it should be mentioned, that it helps a lot to go around he wiki and look into some pages for inspiration or help with formatting. You are not sure how to add a picture? Look at a page that has one! You don't know how to add a Version History? No problem! Nearly every page has one you can copy for the basic structure. That said, you may continue reading the guidelines. Happy editing!
Grammar[edit | edit source]
- Page titles should be logically capitalized as if they were a title (all important words, excluding of, a, an, in, etc. should be capitalized).
- Redirects should be made from the page in the form [first capitalized word] [second non-capitalized word] [third ...]... to the fully capitalized version to allow for hyperlinks to be placed in a sentence format.
- Page titles should be in their singular state for the title, and a redirect should be made from the plural version of them.
- The redirect page should have the category [[Category:Plural redirects]] added to the bottom of them.
- All sentences within a page's content should use proper grammar, and unnecessary capitalizations (except if they are the first words or the title of the page) should be removed.
- References to the player should be made in that exact way. Avoid using first or second person ("me", "us", "you", etc.).
- Don't be informal or use slang!
- Suggestions go to the respective pages in this wiki. Do not add suggestions to the content pages.
Sentence Structure[edit | edit source]
- Sentences should be separated by double spacing, and end in a period.
- Try not to complicate things by chaining multiple sentences together. Consider that this wiki might be used by some non-native speakers and the content should therefore be relatively easy to understand.
- Terms describing content from the game and therefore mark wiki pages should link to these pages when they are first mentioned. After including this first link, no further ones are strictly necessary.
Content and Order[edit | edit source]
- All pages should follow a basic structure to avoid having inconsistencies or stubs. Considering this, all pages should contain the following:
- A picture (as a "thumb" with a caption) to illustrate the pictures content, if applicable. If you are not in possession of a suitable image, please add [[Category:Image needed]] to the bottom of the page instead.
- An introduction mentioning the page's name (not capitalized except for when it is the first word) in bold and the basic usage/characteristics of the described matter.
- Do not mention sapwn locations for "special" items (like, say, the Modern Axe) in the introduction as some players may consider them spoilers. Put them in an extra section called Location instead.
- Following sections in the following order (optionals marked by brackets):
- [Gameplay] : A section containing general information about the content if it didn't fit into the first few introductionary sentences. Usually it is worth extending the aspects you have mentioned in the introduction aswell.
- [Further aspects of the content] : The middle sections may differ for each and every thing. It is suggested you poke around the wiki and find some pages similar to yours to figure out a suitable structure.
- Known Bugs : A bulleted list containing all bugs not fixed in the current version. If you see a bug fixed mentioned here, consider moving it to thefollowing section:
- Update History : A table for information about features added or changed and bugs fixed in previous or current versions.
- [Gallery] : A mediawiki gallery (found in the editor as a preset) contatining additional images that didn't fit in any of the above sections, e.g. a weapon in action or a variant of a specific cannibal.