Sleeping is a gameplay aspect that allows you to progress time faster but does not save your game (press 'C' to save).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The player is able to sleep if they are inside of or nearby a shelter and the player has not already slept recently. Sleeping restores energy and will skip to day if the player begins sleeping at night.
Staying awake for long periods of time affects your energy, but it poses no danger. Energy can be restored very easily by eating, drinking or resting on a bench. Depriving yourself of sleep has no effect whatsoever on your health. The animation for sleeping starts when the player holds down the 'Z' key then followed by a black screen.
- If a cannibal is nearby, attempting to sleep will be unsuccessful. Sleep will be interrupted by a cannibal approaching the shelter.
- Enemies cannot kill you or attack you while you sleep. You will be woken up and they'll be at a safe distance.
Effects[edit | edit source]
Sleeping is not an essential part of the game. You don't need to sleep., but sleeping does have benefits including:
- Resets enemy AI to some extent. If they are nearby, they won't be there when you awake. If they are very close or inside your walls, then they will wake you up and a loud musical sound will play.
- It advances time which is based on when you sleep, you will generally wake up at the same time every morning.
- Sleeping allows a 10% chance of rabbits to breed if there are 2 or 4 in a rabbit cage. Once the rabbit count has reached 5, they will stop breeding.
- If tree regrow mode is on, 10% of trees cut down will regrow providing they still have their tree stumps.
- Will cure sickness if the player is currently sick. Though it will not cure infection.
- Speeds up the progression of the game. Harder enemies will spawn quicker though strength will be generally easier to raise.
Update History[edit | edit source]
|v0.62||Players next sleep time is now synced in multiplayer|
|v0.54||Rabbits in cages now have a 10% chance to breed each time player sleeps when there are 2 to 4 rabbits in the cage|
|v0.46||Fixed enemies sometimes disappearing from noose trap when sleeping|
|v0.44||Now enforcing a UI refresh after sleeping, should prevent tutorial that should be in bottom left corner to remain at top of screen occasionally|
|v0.39||Fixed hud visible during sleeping black screen
Now forcing sun rotation update until past the last frame of sleeping to ensure it is up to date afterwards Sleep black screen is now 1s longer
|v0.38||When woken from sleep, enemies will now walk towards the sound source|
|v0.32||Fixed sleeping not available out of the box in really old saves
Player is now woken up after 7 to 8 hours of sleep if starting to sleep at daytime (instead of being woken up by night falling), sleeping anytime at night still brings time all the way to morning as before)
|v0.31||(Multiplayer) Added sleep feature, all currently connected players must use a sleep trigger (regardless of place in world) and sleep will start once everyone is in
(Multiplayer) Added “Sleep” current view, active while waiting for rest of party to join
|v0.31||There is now a delay at start of game before player can sleep (roughly at first night)|
|v0.29||Added Food Poisoning: has 20% chance of kicking in when getting damage from food. Can be cured with aloe or by sleeping. Lowers fullness/thirst/health/energy regeneration from consuming edible items|
|v0.28||Player will no longer be woken by enemies if he is sleeping inside a base that completely blocks enemies from entering|
|v0.27||Fixed sleep timer broken when having nearby enemies|
|v0.25||Fixed fullness not getting consumed while sleeping (so it behaves like thirst)|
|v0.25||While sleeping both fullness and thirst can only be consumed up to a threshold, so that you never wake up on the verge of dying (unless you engaged sleeping in this state)
Shelter now shows remaining time until next sleep instead of action icon while the feature is locked (display is relative to 1 in game day, ie if the bar is 50% filled it means half a day remains before sleeping again)
|v0.23||Sleeping and being woken by enemies should happen less often, and only when enemies are actually close|
|v0.21||Following features now require to hold their respective button for half a second to be triggered: cancel ghost buildings, drink & gather water, procedural buildings auto fill, eat berries and mushrooms found in world, eat plane food, eat cooked/dried food, light fires, save, sleep|
|v0.20||fixed animation popping on mutants when sleeping in a cave and near edge of screen|
|v0.18||Sleeping at night in a shelter will keep you asleep now until the sun is up (unless woken by enemies)|