|Bucket of Red Paint|
v0.49 - Usable
|Yes, by time, rain, and swimming|
|Causes cannibals to fear you|
|0, Cannot be collected|
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Currently, red paint is contained in open paint buckets, and can be found in several locations on the peninsula. It is often accompanied by a paintbrush. Once picked up, the player will automatically wear it. The cannibals, upon witnessing the player wearing the red paint, can act in a passive manner (though they can still become hostile upon attack). Their interactions with the player consists of: following and staring at him; stepping back if the player tries to approach them; some will even kneel and pray at him as if was some sort of sacred being, or other divine entity that has significant value to the cannibal people. Red paint can have an effect on all cannibals in the area, causing them all to kneel. However, if the player starts attacking, the cannibals will become hostile again. Additionally, kneeling cannibals will rise up after a short while if not killed, and will again become hostile, or will keep kneeling once they get up. Pales will just stay kneeling sometimes. Mutants are unaffected.
Note: The red paint will be removed with rain or if the player starts to swim in any water source.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- In Cave 7, as the player enters the climbing entrance and continues to the waterfall room, the paint will be found on a ledge on the way down to the bottom of the cave.
- One can be found in one of the River longhouses with slides into the water.
- Multiple can be found in the Sahara Laboratory.
- One can also be found within the Hanging Cave at the same room as the modern axe.
Background[edit | edit source]
- The entry hallway to Sahara is bright red all the way through, with red walls and floors.
- The secure doors that the player cannot enter, throughout the facility, are bright red.
- The red paint induces a passive, non-hostile state in the cannibals, who will sit and kneel, or at the very least, back away.
- Dr. Cross knows to use Red Paint to induce the passive state in the cannibals.
- Red paint can be located all over the island, notably in three different large cannibal camps.
Because of all of this, it can be deduced that Sahara fear-conditioned red into the cannibals, making them associate the color with pain or death or something else unpleasant, or perhaps something pleasant such as rewards for kneeling instantly. This was done to better control the cannibals, as they grew into larger and larger numbers due to the increasing extensiveness of Sahara's tests. Dr. Cross uses the red paint because he used to work at the lab and knew this. The buckets around the peninsula were put there either by him for easy access at all times, or perhaps by Sahara employees a while ago so they could safely traverse the peninsula.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After the plane crash, Dr. Cross can be seen wearing the same red paint (the red man), though his does not wear off, as evidence shows him being red still while on the yacht surrounded by water.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Three cannibals praying at once to a player in red paint. The cannibal that can be seen picking up Timmy
Update history[edit | edit source]
|v0.67||(Multiplayer) Fixed issue with syncing skin variations, including red paint|
|v0.61||Fixed spec on red paint|
|v0.54||Snow no longer washes off blood, mud and red paint like rain|
|v0.51||New drawings and story items added near red paint locations in caves and overworld|
|v0.50||Fixed performance issue if players wore red paint around large distorted mutants|
|v0.49||Red paint – added more buckets to world and in caves. These can now be worn by players to scare off enemies, or have enemies pray to you.|