Quick select is the name of a game-play mechanism enabling the player to assign hotkeys to a selection of four items. It allows the player to quickly switch between items rather than having to open the backpack every time. It was added in update v0.55 to The Forest.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The default keys that are assigned for quick select items are
When you start a new game, the first items you pick up will be assigned to slot. For example, if you collect the Plane Axe first, it will go to slot 1. If soda is the next item you collect, that will go to slot 2, etc.
To assign an item to quick select, right click on the item, then right click on the bag. A combine icon will appear. Once its combined, the player can choose a slot. You cannot remove an item from a quick slot, you can only replace it with another item.
Most items can be assigned to quick select. Dried meats cannot be added and will often catch players off guard when they right click on them, they will consume them instead of adding them to quick select. Most material items cannot be added.
It is recommended that players chose slots and assign certain types to the slots every time. This will assist in forming muscle memory. For example:
- Modern Axe - Main weapon, light source and tree cutting
- Repair Tool - For stick trees and repairing
- Crafted Bow or Modern Bow - For range attacks and hunting
- Pouch - For gathering berries and mushrooms
Other items that are handy for quick selecting are:
- Katana - Quick swinging weapon
- Weak Spear - Better for throwing at Deer in case you lose it, all thrown spears do the same damage
- Upgraded Stick - Longest burning weapon in the game, best for a light source
- Energy Mix or Energy Mix + - Great for restoring stamina in the middle of a fight
- Meds, Meds+ or Herbal Medicine - Great for staying alive, inventory doesnt pause on hard or hard survival
- Tennis Racket - Uses very little stamina, good for swinging non stop with high athleticism
- Armor - Armors can used in the middle of a battle to keep the player alive.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shortly after quick select was added to the game, medical items were nerfed to regenerate slowly instead of instantly. Players were able to keep using quick select during battle to instantly get health. This was called a balance fix.
Update History[edit | edit source]
|v1.0||New quick select inventory UI design to make quick selecting easier|
|v0.62||Fixed missing combine prompt for some items when backpack is on the crafting mat to assign items to quick select|
|v0.57||Blocked quick select usage during in game cut scenes|
|v0.56||It is no longer possible to use quick select while swimming/on rope/driving raft
Fixed an issue of first time equipping through quick select stashing back the item and returning to previously held item
(Multiplayer) Quick select items selection is now preserved after respawning
(Performance) Added pooling system to quick item selection views to reduce memory usage
Fixed items like herbs missing SFX when assigned to quick select
Targeting quick select assignment cogs on backpack now works the same regardless of monitor resolution
Assigning an item to a quick select slot, if it is already assigned to a different slot will change its assignment to the newly assigned slot
Stick, rock, pouch and repair tool can now be assigned to quick select
Assigning quick select is now done with the “AltFire” button (right click with K/M) when hovering the little cogs to make it consistent with pressing on the large cog
Removed visibility of non-equipment items on backpack quick select.
|v0.55||Quick Select added to the game
New item quick select feature. Combine weapons on the crafting mat with the backpack to assign. Default keys are 1, 2, 3 and 4 on keyboard. Holding “AltFire” (block) while playing on a gamepad now switches the D-pad to quick select item slots
First 4 weapons/projectiles equipped are automatically added to quick select free slots